Initially Mr Piet Kemp opened Modern Panelbeaters in Evander in 1978 and the business was then bought from him by Mr Jack Van Rensburg in 1983.
Jack Van Rensburg saw an opportunity and moved Modern Panelbeaters to its current premises in Schabort street, Trichardt, a premises which used to be a cement storage facility.
Jack Van Rensburg passed away in a motorvehicle accident on 27 February 1990, whereafter his wife, Joey, decided to continue the business.
The next five years was a difficult period for Modern Panelbeaters until Nico Higgs, the current owner, took over the business on 5 April 1995 and changed the name to Modern Auto Body – Collision Repair Specialists.
Modern Auto Body was one of the first shops to have different departments within the shop.
The previous parts receiving section is now the entrance to the workshop.
Collision Repair Department
Water Preperation area outside
Paint Mixing Room
Final Inspection Bay outside
The preparation bay, wash bay and pre-delivery bay is now part of the paint shop.
MCR had one of the first electronic enclosed paint mixing rooms in the country.
The business was previously situated on a premises of 2974 square metres, whilst the current premises consists of 4461 square metres, with a separate mechanical shop (HRD) and additional towing yard for it’s towing operator (GTR) each on a separate property of 1487 square metres.
MCR was one of the first shops in South Africa to receive Volkswagen and Audi Approval and the first repair centre in Mpumalanga to be recognised as an AA Quality Assured Repairer.
The initial reception area was situated where the Santam Drive-in Centre is now situated and where the towing yard used to be is now the reception.
The name of Modern Auto Body was later on changed to the current “The Only Professionals – Modern Collision Repair Centre.”